Sunday, December 16, 2007

10 Random Memories

I stole this idea from a friend who did a blog about 10 random memories. I thought it was such a great idea!! My problem may be keeping it to only 10 though.Hope it brings some good memories to mind for you...or atleast makes you smile!!

Hmm, where to start...

Memory 1...I remember in grade 4 having ruler fights with Allison and Marlon Penner during class. We got some pretty good hits in. We sat right up front and I don't think we ever got in trouble for it. I guess the teacher figured if we were dumb enough to let our friends beat us with rulers then we didn't deserve to be told to stop.

Memory 2...Grade 1...Allison and I went up town with out a note of permission from our parents. I had just got a new strawberry shortcake purse and wallet for my birthday and it had money in it that needed to be spent!! We got caught and were in big trouble for it. I think this was foreshadowing of what was yet to come!!

Memory 3...Decorating for Christmas almost always took place the holiday Monday of Remembrance Day. My mom loved (and still loves) Christmas time and so we started early at our house. She would buy a box of christmas oranges and lots of different christmas candies and chocolates and it would be a whole day affair...Okay, maybe only a half day but it seemed to take the whole day at the time.

Memory 4...Dustyn and I had got matching BMX bikes. His was blue and mine was red. We were both just learning to ride them out side (they were a little bit bigger than the one we were used to). My parents had just bought a new car as well. Well, i was having a little trouble getting my balance and I drove straight into the back driver's side. LOL. good thing there was no scratches left behind.

Memory 5...Janny Joe... the American hero...my nickname from grade three and four. I can laugh at it now but it made me cry then. It was the feminine name for GI Joe given to me by the male population in my class. It was from this experience that I learned to fight and stand up for myself...it took a while but I eventually cried less and cared less.

Memory 6...Three wheeling with siblings, cousins, friends. Lots of great memories, a few of which involve driving into electric fences (not a good idea but quite humorous!!), trees and tipping. Surprising that none of us were ever seriously injured from these experiences.

Memory 7...My friend Joyce telling me to stick out my tongue and then to wiggle it. After doing so I asked her why. She said she just wanted to see if I would do it. I have to explain that I had just been studying for finals in university and had not slept for days. At that time you could of told me to do anything and I probably would of.

Memory 8...Many sleepovers with friends growing up. Usually involved people doing and saying stupid things. (Hmm,, this is still happening) ...60 seconds, christmas oranges, bread and water, Venice House, Grey Cup, eating ribs, Oak, thought dreams...and the list goes on!!

Memory 9...I had just had eye surgery, I think. I was one eyed for some reason anyway. (Normal state for me there for a while.) Being one eyed puts your depth perception off a little. I was trying to open a jar of pickles and couldn't so I asked a friend to help. We still couldn't get it open so i took a butter knife and started to hit the top. My friend was still holding on to the bottom. Well, I was on target for the first 3 hits but the fourth one i was a little off and i smacked my friend's hand with the butter knife. Hurt her a little. We told her it was her fault for trusting a one eyed jack with a knife.

Memory 10...Being frustrated with my love life and announcing my only requirement for dating. Another wonderful example of me not using my "inside" voice.
P.S. inside voice here refers to keeping things inside my head and not announcing them to whoever may be around at the moment.

Okay, one more. I have many but if i typed them all out we would be here forever. One memory just leads to another and another and another

Bonus Memory...I think it was the first year I was in the city for university. It was exam time in December and i was exhausted (as everyone is at this time). I was walking east on Taylor. I can't remember if I was actually going anywhere. I think I just needed to get out and try and clear my head. So I'm totally in my own little world when this car full of people drives by shouting my name. I'm was like...what in the world!! The car stops and waits for me to get there. I approach cautiously!! Here it is Monica, Melissa, Diane and Joyce. Jamie might of been there too. They were having a Christmas party and were wondering if I wanted to come. They even had a gift for me. This was when I wasn't sure about these people but I decided to go. I got cookie cutters (which I still have) and my favoritest (yes, I know that is not a word) book ever...Monster at the End of the Book starring Grover (of course I still have this too!!) I sometimes wonder how different my life would be now had these friends not been so persistent in proving they were not as weird and scary as I had been told!!

So, these are just a few of the memories back in the cobwebs of my mind. There are so many more I would love to share. If you're reading this and have some to add feel free to do so. I believe I will have to do this again sometime!!

No comments: